Together with our friends at Reo Māori Mai, we've been dreaming up ways to include a little more Te Reo Māori into our day to day gestures.
This set of 9 gift cards provides a small and thoughtful way to give words to the feelings we feel often and seldom verbalise.
They say it’s the small things that count - ahakoa he iti, he pounamu - and we can’t help but agree. Sometimes it’s the smallest gesture of kindness and love that can make your day, a moment of aroha to hold on to. With that in mind, we have created these mini mihi cards as a tohu of aroha. There are so many ways you can use these cards to share mihi with your loved ones - in their lunchbox, under their pillow, as a gift tag on a koha or bunch of putiputi, and more.
The set includes 9 x 9cm x 5cm cards with Te Reo Māori on the front and an english translation on the back.
The cards include:
1) Kei te whitinga o te rā, nui te aroha mōhou - My sunshine, I love you so much
2) E te tau, kia hari, kia koa tēnei rangi - Darling, have a great day
3) Nōu te rā e te piki kōtuku - The day is yours, my love
4) E poho kererū ana ahau i a koe - I am so proud of you
5) He puna aroha e kore e mimiti mōu e te kuru pounamu - My love for you is endless, my dear
6) Kei te kuru auhuka, ka tāria tō hokinga mai - My darling, I can't wait til you're back
7) E taku māpihi maurea, mei kore ake koe - My love, I couldn't be without you
8) Pai tū, pai hinga - You got this, no matter what
9) Kei te kuku o taku manawa xx - My love xx
Check out @reomaorimai on Instagram and Facebook for pronunciation support with these mihi if you’d like to also have a go saying them to each other.
Ps. In order to make these cards as accessible as possible, we also have a an A4 free printable version available here